Tuesday, April 19, 2011

K.A.D

Seasonal affective disorder or SAD, otherwise known as seasonal depression is a mood disorder that happens every year at the same time.  In general, seasonal affective disorder starts in fall or winter and ends in spring or early summer. 
Webster's dictionary defines K.A.D, as Kid Affective Disorder.  This, not so rare I'm sure, disorder develops in parents as children begin to have power struggles, become picky eaters, and stop sleeping at night. 
Dante created a 10th circle of hell to hold the place for those parents of children who scream themselves to sleep at night demanding milk sippies, extra playtime, and the stuffed animals and blankies that have been thrown to the ground.  And a sublayer of hell for these same occurrences happening in the middle of the night with no adequate consolation to the child.
All jokes aside, we have two nearly two year olds that don't go to sleep well and a couple times a week wake up in the night screaming until they are held.  I know what the 'rules,' books, guidelines all say to do, to let them cry it out, don't give in, be 'heartless,' wear ear plugs.  We were sailing free by this time with Charlie and I just don't know what to do anymore with these twinners.  Any ideas are appreciated?  Even if they are heartless ideas.  I can always handle validation... 
Kisses and Cuddles,
Two sleep deprived parents on the verge of Zoloft   

7 comments:

Unknown said...

No comment on your behalf but a whole lot of SYMPATHY....Scott is finally teething and it is MISERABLE - it has been two nights getting up every 2 hours to try to soothe him! And then during the day, he takes about 4 30 min. naps and wakes up REAL cranky! And on top of that, he is running a fever (cause of the teething) and I get nauseous just holding that hot, big baby!!! Heaven help all of us mothers!

Christian said...

I find that a muzzle, lined with the dust of crushed up Altoids, can prove to have quite a subduing effect on children from the ages of 2-6. Also, a harness with a long pole can be used to secure the child to a ceiling fan (on a low speed of course so as to maintain safety). This can provide hours of entertainment for the child and, because of the force of the momentum, will ensure that vomit is projected in a satisfyingly symmetrical fashion on the floor for easy clean-up. Good luck to you! *hat tip*

~Jeneece said...

Trevin used to have a hard time at night if he did wake up going back to sleep. I would sit in the room in a rocker and sing. When I would first go in I would use a soothing voice and lay him back down but that was the only contact then i would sit close enough for him to see me, but not touch me and just sing. Anything really. Some nights it worked quickly and others i wished i had a recliner in there to sleep. Not sure if you've tried this, but worth a shot...

The Dummers said...

Call me a sucker, but Will still wakes up sometimes in the night (he's almost 3) and we just give him a cuddle and his hippo. I guarantee he won't be doing it when he goes to high school so we allow it. Only young once, right? Terrible advice, I know.

Sarie said...

Hang in there! Tons of love to you--- you are hilarious.

Heather said...

:( I have to say that makes me glad I just have ONE two-year-old.

"Good night sleep tight" by Kim West. Read it, love it, go to sleep again.

Laura said...

No good advice...my kids have all been GREAT sleepers...sorry! But I totally validate whatever method you choose to deal with your cute twinners! You are their mom and whatever you choose will be the right thing! I miss seeing you! Hopefully at Hayley's shower! Good luck!