Monday, July 27, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic...

So I've been trying to evaluate myself and where my life is going and such, and I've come to some very obvious, yet astonishing realizations about myself that I have never seen until recently. First, I am an emotional eater. I never have been before, but as I keep wondering why the baby weight isn't coming off of me like it used, I continue to drown my sorrows in bowls of muddy buddies. Hmmmm. And I know people say, "Oh you look great for just having had twins!" But I want to look great for not just having had twins. I know, whoa is me. But weight is something that I haven't really struggled with growing up, so this is a whole new ballgame of dieting and exercise, and I'm sorry to all those out there that have struggled with weight or baby fat and that I've given a nonchalant response. It is hard. Second, I shop when I'm depressed. Not to alarm anyone. I'm not crazy 'jump off a building' depressed. Just 'OMG, I have 3 kids and my life will never be the same and my three year old is nuts and who knows when I'll have a good nights sleep and time to shower or paint my toe nails or shave' depressed. So what do I do? Shop. It's an amazing temporary fix to depression. But then I look at our horrendous medical bills and make new goals to not shop and get more depressed when I fail. It's a vicious cycle. Retail therapy is amazing, but paying off the credit card sucks. So if you see me shopping while eating muddy buddies, you'll know I've hit an all time low. Good thing the kids are so dang cute. It save me from permanent insanity. (Plus the cute new boots I just got. They are going to look great with my new boyfriend white tee.)

7 comments:

Lisa said...

hahaha, I think motherhood turns us into emotional eaters. I SWEAR I was never one before, but I sure am now. And I only wish retail therapy helped. Good luck!!

Kalli said...

my husband learned to shut his mouth right up after I could not stop shopping after my boy was born last year. Sorry, but shopping is the only thing that made me feel better about my new spare tire and matching rubby thighs accessory. It's like I just had to keep shopping to find something to magically make it all disappear...

Heather said...

tsk tsk tsk. I guess I should be glad that I don't have a shopping problem, just a weight problem eh? I eat when I am extremely sad, happy or bored. isn't that basically all the time? Luckily for you, you have a killer metabolism and always have!

(Feel free to come to the financial class Randy and I are teaching on August 20th. We will be talking budgets and getting out of debt and staying out of debt. Sounds boring I know, but if we can do it, anyone can do it.)

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

lindsey,
you are so great.
and you do look lovely
for just having twins
or not just having twins...
at least you're not
me...my baby is one
and i do look like
i just had him...plus
another him...wanna trade
bods?

catie p.

BriAnne said...

Oh I so totally hear you! The hilarious thing is now I like to buy things for Summer because my bod is not anything to write home about at the moment. :)So I justify it, haha! And isn't it funny how when you don't have fresh toenails, you can get a little frantic? I do anyway...kind of a weirdo. And you have to tell me what muddy buddies are....no, wait, don't. :)

Moody Family said...

OMG Lindsey!! I totally know how you feel. I remember when Noah was born and I hadn't had a shower in who knows how long. The first thing Chris said was 'You smell like spoiled milk' GREAT huh! I was so upset because what was I supposed to do...shower?? I was tired of sitting there by myself and being barfed on by my child that I so loved and then for him to say that just put me over. Long story short...if you need a nap or you need to send Charlie away to my house...then by all means DO IT!! If you need a nap call me I will be right over!! I know for a fact that you won't call or want any help so I will just call you :) Plus I think you look amazing!!

Jess said...

AMEN! And I only have one. Sheesh.