Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lindsey Enters the World

So who knew that you could read a book without buying it? Well, I sure didn't. At least I never really wanted to touch books that I perceived as being used/germy. I apologize if that sounds snobby. I blame my mom. :) Don't feel bad for me/her-she knows what kind of monster she's created.
Anywho, today I went and took my kids to the library. I got my very own library card!! Growing up I went once or twice with the neighbors but going to the library wasn't something we really did. That's not to say reading wasn't a HUGE priority in our household. We just normally bought our books. Am I incriminating myself? Back to being what I perceive as a great parent...we went to the library today and checked out 7 books and 1 movie-ALL FOR FREE! I expected to have to pay? for a membership? Who knew? (I even decided that I liked how the old books smelled-I really just about cried being surrounded by so many reading opportunities. But those who know me know it doesn't take much for me to cry.)

7 comments:

Heather said...

ha haha. that is so funny. Welcome to the world of free reading. Sometimes the options are limited so beware. I think it is hilarious that I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't ever want to pay for a book. I usually only read it once, so why pay for it? I have payed for my very favorites, or those I want in my collection for the kids to read someday. I do, however, get my children's book supply (which is huge) at the DI. They are only 50 cents and you can find some of your favorites in really good condition. That being said, I am not a fan of the germs either, so I give the plastic or hardbound books a good antibacterial spray when we buy them.

we go to the library at least once a week. That is where I get to watch new released DVD's too.

Lisa said...

I like to buy my books too, but I love taking the kids to the library. We always check out like 30 books and keep them for a few weeks and then take them back. You should try out the storytime there if you think Charlie would sit through it. The lady at the library does a pretty good job!

lindseyj said...

I love it Linds! The first time I went I was in awe too. Both my boys live it there!

emilyspens said...

Ha ha! I'm so glad you have finally tested the waters. I went to the library all the time when I was younger and it was SO much fun. Plus you get to change your collection of books so often you'll never get bored.

The Dummers said...

Glad you're hooked! I'm a book buyer, too. (LOVE the re-read!) HUGE fan of the library, though. I'll have to give you a heads up on the library book sales. It's the best of both worlds!

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

i know!
we try to go once a week
and it doesn't matter
how many times i've
done it, i still get
excited that i'm walking
away with a bag full of
books for free.

however, remember how
catie can't seem to get it
through her head that
the dvds are due back sooner
than the books...hello late
fees, nice to meet you.

have you been to the
salt lake library...you must
come with your kiddos!
the children's section is
an entire level and it's
just so fun and clever
how they've set it up.

we should really do that
with all the girls and our kids
then we'd really feel like
super parents.

Noelle said...

Wait until you get in to online book reservations.. you'll feel like you won the lottery.

Welcome to the land of grown ups.. we've been waiting for you ;)