Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Word From the Dalai Lama

If you had told me 10 years ago that at 26 I'd be married with three kids and 5 curse words away from needing anger management courses, I would've laughed in your face. But if there is anything I've learned in my 26 years of existence, it's that you can't plan your life. I was going to go to New York and be some high up fashion magazine exec and live the life of glamor and glitz. Well, this being in my 17 year old "I can do anything I set my mind to" brain. But life happens, you get thrown curve balls, the Lord reminds you who is in charge and how you will really be happy and here I am. 26 years old, 3 kids, a wonderful but normal best friend that I call my husband and living the daily life of poo streaked, buzz lightyear undies, time-outs, and chubby thighs to kiss all day. That's not to say I don't dream about being famous, maybe writing a book, making out with Jude Law on-screen, or taking the kids on playdates with Tori Spelling (I don't know why I'm so obsessed with her) but I'm learning to realize my potential as a mother and what difference I can make in living life here in my now...

Much of this was precipitated by this interview I read in Time Magazine a week ago with the Dalai Lama. His simple wisdom touched me...
Dalai Lama-
How can we teach our children not to be angry?
Children always look to their parents. Parents should be more calm. You can teach children that you face a lot of problems but you must react to those problems with a calm mind and reason. I have always had this view about the modern education system: we pay attention to brain development, but the development of warmheartedness we take for granted.
Do you believe your time here on earth has been a success?
Hmmm. That's relative. It's so difficult to say. All human life is some part failure and some part achievement.

To read the interview in it's entirety, visit Time Magazine.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That's interesting. I'm not a big fan or Tori Spelling or Jude Law. huh.
I need anger management classes today. I almost yelled at the pharmacist at WM while simotaneously
beating my 6 year old.

Came home, channeled my inner Lindsey and drank a diet coke...feeling slightly better.

Sarie said...

I love it. All us mothers are living the hard life (but so awesome and funny and very busy). Love this post. xoxo

The Dummers said...

I think my aspirations were usually in the direction of kissing Jude Law OFF screen, not on. Either way. Pretty glad that one didn't work out for me. Life is pretty great, isn't it? Buzz Lightyear poop and all. :)

Noelle said...

I love this post with all my tiny stone cold heart.

You are awesome and I want to spend more time with you.

Noelle said...

Oh, P.S. I would totally hang out with Tori Spelling as well. We should all get together some time.

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

awesome linds.

when we get together
thursday i'll have to
tell you all the silly
things i had fantasized
my future to be...well
at least i got to fulfill
one life long dream...
can you say sayawitan? ;)
i love being brown.