Maggie Grace Nelson "Twin B"weighing 4 lbs 9 ounces * 17 inches

The skinny: (or the fat if you consider how long this post is- and I warn you, it is long)
So I woke up on Tuesday 5/26 and was sitting in bed about 8:30 a.m. typing some emails and such for work and when I stood up to use the facilities, I noticed a wet spot on the bed. Thinking it was some gross girl substance, I got embarrassed when Andy saw it and told him I probably peed my pants, even though I didn't think it was pee, but probably just...discharge. (Sorry if any boys are reading this. I'm a girl and don't even like talking about it.) However, Andy didn't buy it told me to call my doc just to see what they recommended. I begrudgingly, and I mean really begrudgingly, appeased him and called the doc and they said to go to the Women's Center at the hospital to get checked out. Andy stayed home with Charlie and I called my mom to go with me as moral support and very unwillingly, off we went. So when we got to the hospital, they checked my fluid with the strip thing to see if it turned blue and it was a little but not much, however I was dilated to a 1.5 and fully effaced. So we got hooked up to the monitors and started monitoring the babies and about 30 min in a felt a little more of a gush, which was then checked and it was bright blue and I was told we were having some babies that afternoon. At this point, I was in shock and had to call Andy and tell him he was right, something I hate doing. :) So they admitted me and about 30 min later, about 10:30 am, I got my epidural which was surprising that I didn't have to be writhing in pain, like I was with Charlie. I loved it. So Andy got there, my mom took Charlie, and we hung out for the next 5 hours (till 3:30 p.m.)--to find out I was only at a 4. They started me on a small drip of pitocin and by 5 I was fully dilated and they wheeled my into the OR, incase I needed an emergency C-Section. Both babies have been head down and were able to be born vaginally. Ruby was born at 5:36 pm and when she was born Maggie's water broke and she was born at 5:38 pm,. My doc said it was probably his fastest twin delivery time from one being born to the other. We saw them for a couple minutes but then they needed to go to the nursery to have some breathing help, especially Maggie since she was born so quickly after her sac ruptured. They were having a difficult time breathing due to me delivering them at only 34 weeks and having under developed lungs. But 9:30 pm they took chest xrays and did more blood work and determined that they needed surfactin? (spell check) to boost their lungs, which couldn't be done at Alta View and they would need to transfer to the NICU at either IMC on 53rd or Primary's. So Andy and a friend gave them blessings and at 1 am they were intubated and life flighted to IMC, where they were given the necessary drugs and they responded immediately and started breathing sooo much easier--such a relief. It was so hard to see them struggling for air for so long. They have progressed so much through the day today and only Maggie had to be on the ventilator a bit during the night to help her breathe about every 3rd breath. Today they have added oxygen but are doing it all on their own and the nurses told us by tonight, Ruby was going to try to breathing without any additional oxygen. Tomorrow, we can go and hold them for the first time, which is so exciting. We will keep everyone posted and are so grateful for all of your love and support. We have definately felt everyone's prayers and appreciate all the help being offered to us.
Love you all so very much.
Andy, Lindsey, and Charlie (also Ruby and Maggie)


21 comments:
We are so happy for you and your little family! They are adorable! Congratulations!!!
oh linds!
we are so happy
for you guys!
i love love love
the names you picked!
you are amazing!
we're so glad
you and the kiddos
are doing well...
do you like imc?
i thought it was
super nice.
but it's always
hard to see your
babies struggle at all
you are, of course,
in our prayers.
we must bring you
a dinner!
i'll call you.
and don't feel
weird...i pee the
bed on a weekly
basis...too much info?
congratulations again!!
love the pilk fam
YAY!! I'm glad everything is going well, and that you get to go hold them. I bet that's been hard to not be able to yet. And I LOVE the names!
Congratulations, they are beautiful! I'm glad you get to hold them today- not being able to hold them is the worst. Lots of prayers are headed your way from here...I'm hoping they can go home with you super fast! If you need a meal, let me know. I know it's hard to cook when you're dividing your time between home and hospital.
I am so happy for you! I know they will be just fine and they are absolutely perfect!
Lots of Love,
Cory
Congrats Linds! They look so teeny tiny. I love it. I guess they are a good size for twins though right? I bet it is a lot easier to deliver a 4lb baby than my 9 pounders huh? I hope you are doing OK. Keep us updated.
That is so exciting!! Even more that you could do it vaginally!! I would have twins if I could do it that way. They are beautiful and you picked great names for them both! Congrats!!
Wow, I also love the names. Ruby Scout may be the cutest girl name I have ever heard. I am so glad that everything went well, considering the fact that they arrived a little early. Good luck and I hope I get to see them soon!
Congrats guys! They are super cute even with all the monitors and junk. Can't wait to meet them. Good Luck!
you rock, girly. Let the awesome neighbors of yours help you out when you need it!
I am DYING DYING DYING!! You gave birth to them the old fashioned way? I am sooooo proud of you!!! You are so awesome. And I LOVE the names! So up my alley!!
Love to you guys! Can't wait to see more photos!!
xoxo
Congratulations! Thanks for the post... I am hearing things from Shauna to Renard to Mindy to me... this was much better. There was definitely something lost along the way. :)
Glad you and the babies are doing so well. At this rate, they will be home in no time! Sending hugs!
What cute girls Linds! And super cute names to go with them! I'm so happy to hear that things are going pretty well for you, and I hope they continue to get better by the minute. Can't wait to meet your two new additions!
Lindsey, all I can say is that your new name should be super-woman (or maybe super-mom). You guys did good. The girls looks awesome. I can't wait to see them. We'd love to help. Let me know when I can take Charlie for the day or bring a meal. Soooo happy for you guys. Congrats!!
Christine
Congratulations Lindsey! I am so glad that everything went so well considering they were a little earlier than planned.
Thanks for posting the pictures!! Soooo cute -- can't wait to meet them!
Linds they are so precious! Congratulations! Glad you are all doing well. Love the names!
Ruby and Maggie are beautiful Lindsey. I hope you are recovering well too. My prayers are with you and your cute family. I'm glad they are breathing so much better. I can't wait to see them. Take care and thanks for the post...I've been looking so often...I'm glad they are here! How's Charlie?
CONGRATS!! that is so excited they are so little. Hope they come home soon. Love both of the names..
Can I bring you dinner or anything? They are so beautiful! I'm so happy they're doing well! Oh and on your other post, I don't think it's too much skin :) I have pics like that from when Lucas was born and they're some of my favorites and I emailed them out to everyone!
Post a Comment