Thursday, July 15, 2010

Little Man Turns 4!!

I really like to extend birthdays into more of a week rather than a day.  This all began when I was growing up and my mom and I have our birthdays 3 days apart.  We decided to do lunches, shop, and get pampered for the time immediately preceding and following BOTH our birthdays.  Being the only girls of the househole, we felt it a necessity to have this additional pampering.  This, in turn, has extended to my own family.  Charlie got to go play with his Great Grandma Ballard a few days before his big day and he LOVED IT.  She gave him a book, cookies-which she always makes sure to have on hand for him :), and a home-made card, which he has now carried around and slept with since.  A few days before Charlie's birthday we went and checked out bikes at the bike store.  He was so excited about the yellow one but we decided not to let him know we were getting it until the day before his big day.  He was so excited-but showed it in his timid, silly way.  He was able to ride bikes all day with his cousins, Jeffy and Ella, and then the night before his birthday we went to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and to see Toy Story 3 with Andy's parents. (I don't have any pictures from this night) :(  Then on his birthday, Friday morning, we went to the zoo with his Grandma and Grandpa Richter, Daddy, Mommy, and cousins Jeffy and Ella.  We went to Training Table for lunch then came home to ride our bike some more.  For dinner we went to, where else, the Mayan, which after his 3rd birthday, is the greatest thing since sliced bread to Charlie.  I think the food is on par with cat vomit, but the divers are fun and Charlie loves the atmosphere, so what else matters, right?  Charlie also got a Toy Story fishing pole and his daddy has already taught him how to successfully cast the plastic fishy that attaches to the end of it.  Saturday, unfortunately, C got sick and that continued into this week, hence my nearly week late post of Charlie's big day from last week.  But minus being sick, we had so much fun!!  We are surrounded by such amazing family.  Thanks to everyone who was able to join in the fun!
My Amazing Charlie,
You have so many extraordinary qualities.  You are so intelligent, and funny--very quirky--and have developed such a great imagination.  I love listening to you play with your stuffed animals and build your trains, and I love that you always want to be in your undies or footy jammies.  You're stubborn and know what you want, and I hope that continues, though in possibly a bit more tempered way.  This last year has been a big one for our family and you've risen to the occasion and grown up more than you should have been expected to.  I was nervous when it would no longer be just the three musketeers-you, me, and daddy--but to see you become such a wonderful big brother to our babies has shown me again what an old soul you really are.  I'm so grateful to be your mom and excited to see what new adventures we'll encounter along the way.
Love you!!!
Mommy

3 comments:

The Dummers said...

Do our little guys have the same birthday?? I think that's kind of cool! Happy Birthday, Charlie! Looks like it was a great one!

Noelle said...

That sounds like a fun week! You are such a great mom. I can't believe you have a 4 year old now! He looks like such a little grown up on his bike. Too cute!

Heather said...

Sounds like a seriously fun week! How are you going to top that next year?