Well, we've made it one week! I'm counting this as a huge accomplishment. Even though I feel like it is actually hitting me that we still can't bring our babies home, they are still gradually getting better and this too shall pass. Yesterday morning Maggie and Ruby both nursed for about 4 minutes, in the hour that we worked with each of them, and last night Maggie did about 6-7. Ruby however, didn't want anything to do with it, but I was able to look into those sweet eyes that I remember seeing 3 years ago on her big brother. We stared at each other for a good 45 minutes and it was wonderful. This morning, however, Ruby was my big eater and she did a good 10 minute feeding. They qualify this as a full feeding and didn't supplement her through her feeding tube, which was very encouraging. Maggie though was too sacked out to even care so I just held her and basked in her gorgeousness. They both had their additional oxygen turned off today and were just breathing room air for the time that I was there, but then had to have a small amount turned back on when they fell into their deep sleep, which the nurse said is very common because they start to breathe more shallow, but that we are getting so close to them weaning themselves of the additional oxygen and just breathing room air. YAY! Then we get the feeding down and then they get to come home. We are hoping in a week or so our little sweeties will be big and strong enough to come home with us, but we also understand that it could still be longer than that since they will only be 36 weeks instead of the 37-which is considered full term. We will see. Thanks again to everyone for the support. We REALLY appreciate it and feel the comfort of your prayers. This experience has taught us the full impact of how we are surrounded by wonderful family, neighbors, and friends and we have truly appreciated it.
I didn't post more pictures because they are pretty much all looking the same at this point. We have tons of shots of sleeping babies, so we'll try to switch it up. And I hate to say it but I already am having a hard time looking at what we pics we have taken and telling which girl is which. First order of business, painting toe nails!
End of April
1 week ago
7 comments:
Lin and Andy, It looks like you have two absolutely beautiful girls. I hope they keep up the good work so they can go home and join Charlie. I think about you everyday. I wish you the best and love reading your posts. Stay strong linds! You are doing it!!
Lindsey, they are beautiful. I am glad to hear things are going well. Please let us know if you need anything. love ya
I'm glad they are doing so well. I'm still sorry you can't bring them home just yet, but hopefully soon! Also, your "secky pecky" comment on my blog made me laugh so hard! Thanks, I needed it! And also, its a very good point.
Wow, your strength amazes me! Your girls are so beautiful, and I am happy to hear they are doing so well! PLEASE let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do! We would love to help!
you're such a
sweet little mama.
you guys are
troopers...it
must be tough
to not take them
home.
give the sweet
little kiddos
baby tummy kisses
for us!
loves!
pilks
Good luck on the feedings! I remember trying to push for 10 minutes, and then hoping they gained weight. So here is hoping that your girls do at least 10 min. if not more, and that they gain lots of weight so they can come home soon!
I'm so glad to hear they are progressing and getting stronger! Hopefully you will be able to bring those little sweeties home soon!
Post a Comment